Thursday, January 22, 2015

Buddha & Mustard Seed Medicine

Got my craft on and made these figures a couple weeks ago. They are just peg people. I painted them with a small brush and toothpicks (for the fine detail). We do not have a large class so, for now, these work for us. If it gets to the point where they are too small, they can be moved to a mobile "spirit play" box for families to take home.

I saw that some people made figures and boxes to represent the houses that the mother visits. I decided to stick with the original script where the mother figure addresses each child in the circle to ask if they have experienced any sadness, sickness or death. I think it pulls them in a little more and helps them reflect on the fact that we all experience those feelings and situations in our lives.


One thing I'd like to remind you is that sometimes a mistake while making a figure like this can be o.k. and work to your advantage. For example, while drawing the mother's eyes, I accidentally made a mistake. But I was able to cover it up with a tear, which helps convey the sadness that she was feeling.

Embrace those mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment