Thursday, February 12, 2015

Altar of Exploration & Expression

This is one of the most popular items in our Spirit Play classroom. I wanted to do something like this so that kids could explore values, spiritual needs and other religions through tactile items. Children will take out the tray and start to explore the items, sometimes taking out 5-6 items to place on the altar area  that interest them. Some will talk with or ask the class adults about some of the items. What I have tried to instill in the adults is that if you don't know what something is, don't be afraid to admit it. They need to know that no one has all the answers. Old hymnals and a lovely glazed chalice with a flameless candle round out the top.


What I have is tray with several compartments - it's like a typesetter's tray. You could use a crafting bead tray or even a shallow bowl. Adults within the congregation have really enjoyed filling it up with items. I often go to put something away in here and find new additions! I have religious items from many different faiths (evil eyes, mini torah, hamsa, cross with 12 stations on back, chalices). A yo-yo. A compass. A key. A small glass jar of glitter. Items representing the 4 seasons. Items from nature and man-made. Dollhouse items are a great source of props for this, esp. for "books."

For what it's worth, the cabinet is an old TV cabinet that had a swivel top. Sometimes these odd pieces of furniture can be really useful. I never had a good place or use for it, until I found the perfect home for it in this classroom. I removed the swivel top and placed the tray on the VCR space. It's the right height for these kids. Plus, it has enclosed storage below for me to store upcoming lessons. When I need more space to store lessons or extensions, I can remove the doors and I'll have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment