Thursday, January 22, 2015

Promises lesson extension

So, I was trying to figure out a fun hands-on way to add a variation to the other extension materials for the promises lesson. I also had these golf tees I wanted to use for something. BING-O!
You need a wood block and your rainbow golf tees. I would suggest making the block a little wider than I did, I just happened to have this one small piece on hand. I used a drill bit larger than the tees and drilled holes.

For the inserts, I found a symbol for each promise, the word for that symbol and the promise wording, laminated each list, and then cut them out, leaving a long "tab" on each one. It's kind of hard to see since it's clear. Alternately, you could use stick-on tabs for file folders. Then I took another piece of clear plastic that they could slide under and affixed that to the block. This way, kids can switch out each tab as they grow in reading skills or are looking for a greater challenge.

The "game" is that they have to match the color with the symbol. Each card has a different "order" and for us older folk, I put the control (answer) on  the back of the card.

Here's an alternative if you have room and are into mod podge/decoupage: Instead of laminating each list and having it switch out, just decoupage the list onto the wood and seal it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment